1. Unit 2 Lớp 12 Speaking Task 1
Work in pairs. Express your point of view on the following ideas, using the words or expressions in the box. (Làm việc theo cặp. Hãy thể hiện quan điểm của em về những nhận định dưới đây, sử dụng những từ hoặc sự diễn đạt theo gợi ý trong khung.)
- In Vietnam, three or even four generations may live in a home. (Ở Việt Nam, ba thậm chí là bốn thế hệ có thể chung sống trong một mái nhà.)
- A: In my opion,it is good when three or four generations may live under one roof because they can help each other a lot.
- B: I don’t agree with your idea. I think it is not good for three or four generations to live in a family because they will find difficult to sympathy their interests and habbits.Therefore, there may usually be conflicts among family members. In some countries, especially in developing countries, old-aged people like to live in a nursing homes, where they can lead independent lives.
- A happy marriage should be based on love. (Một cuộc hôn nhân hạnh phúc nên đặt nền tảng bằng tình yêu.)
- C: In my opinion, it’s obvious a happy marriage should be based on love, the true love, because love is the necessity for the family happiness. Only the true love can bring about forgiveness and sacrifice.
- D: That’s true. It’s love that joins a man with a woman together.
- In some Asian countries, love is supposed to follow marriage, not precede it. (Ở một số quốc gia châu Á, tình yêu nảy sinh trong hôn nhân mà chưa từng tồn tại trước đó.)
- E: For me, it is not a really good idea that love can be supposed to follow the marriage. It’s an obsolete thought. Everyone should have a right to make decisions for their own, especially the one relating to their personal life. Because we love something whenever we know and understand it well.
- F: That’s right. It’s love that joins a man with a woman together.
- In some countries, a man and a woman may hold hands and kiss each other in public. (Ở một số quốc gia, đàn ông và phụ nữ có thể cầm tay và hôn nhau ở nơi công cộng.)
- G: I believe it’s OK. Holding one’s hands is a way to express one’s feelings or love, especially it is a popular way for the couple.
- H: I agree with you. How about kissing each other in public?
- G: Personally, it’s not our traditional culture. Our personal feelings may not be performed in public. I mean in front of other people, except for necessary circumstances.
2. Unit 2 Lớp 12 Speaking Task 2
Below are some typical features of American culture. Work in pairs, discuss and find out the corresponding features of Vietnamese culture. (Dưới đây là đặc trưng văn hóa Mỹ. Hãy làm việc theo cặp, thảo luận và tìm những đặc điểm tương ứng trong văn hóa Việt Nam.)
- Two generations (parents and children) live in a home
- Old – aged parents live in a nursing homes.
- It is not polite to ask questions about age, marriage and income.
- Americans can greet anyone in the family first.
- Groceries are bought once a week.
- Christmas and New Year holidays are the most important.
- Children sleep in their own bedrooms
- Two or more genarations live in a home.
- Old-aged parents often live with their children.
- It is a commal mailer in Vietnam.
- Usually the inferior must greet the superior first.
- Groceries can be bought at any time when necessary.
- Only New Year (Lunar New Year-Tet) holidays are the most important.
- Groceries can be bought at any time when necessary.
- Small children usually sleep with their parents
3. Unit 2 Lớp 12 Speaking Task 3
Work in groups. Talk about the similarities and differences between Vietnamese and American cultures, using the features discussed in Task 2. (Làm việc theo nhóm. Nói về điểm giống và khác biệt giữa văn hóa Việt Nam và Mỹ, sử dụng những gợi ý đã thảo luận ở phần 2.)
Guide to answer
- A: I think there are various differences between Vietnamese and American cultures.
- B: Can you give us an example?
- C: Well. In the United States, usually only two generations (parents and children) live under one roof. Meanwhile in Viet Nam you can see three or more generations living in the same home.
- D: A different feature between two cultures is old-aged Americans often live in nursing homes, but Vietnamese old people usually live with their children or grandchildren.
- A: In America, asking about age, salary and religion is considered impolite, but it’s OK or acceptable in Viet Nam. This custom, however, is also kept by some Vietnamese people, especially among young city dwellers.
- B: About greetings, in the US anyone can greet the others in the family first, but in Viet Nam young or inferior people must greet the old or superior first.
- C: Christmas and New Year are the most important holidays in America, but in Viet Nam only Lunar New Year is the most important.
- D: Americans usually buy groceries or go shopping at weekends, but Vietnamese people can buy groceries or things at any time they need or want. I think it depends on lifestyle and family activities.
- A: About the ways of expressing love or sentiments, Americans can kiss or embrace each other in public, but this is considered unpleasant to eyes in Viet Nam.
- B: Birthdays or wedding anniversaries are usually celebrated in American families; they are considered important family celebrations. In Viet Nam we also see this custom, but only in young or rich families.
- C: One more difference in two cultures: American children sleep in their own rooms, meanwhile Vietnamese parents let their children sleep with them, especially small children.
4. Remember for Unit 2 Lớp 12 Speaking
Remember some structures about how to express the point of view (Ghi nhớ một số cấu trúc thể hiện quan điểm cá nhân như sau)
I think/feel/believe (that) S+ V
In my opinion, S + V
For me, S + V
I don’t agree…
It’s not true…